Transformative methods of increasing brick-and-mortar sales through a prominent online presence.
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of marketing local businesses online to local customers. When a potential local customer is looking for a product online, Local SEO helps market your product to them.
One of the most integral aspects of Local Search Engine Optimization is Local SERPs, meaning Google’s Search Engine Results Pages. Each of Google’s SERPs comes with a variety of different features that can help businesses market their product. This includes, but is not limited to, AdWords, Featured Snippets, Image Packs, In-Depth Articles, News Boxes, Reviews, Knowledge Panels, and, most importantly for Local SEO, the Local Pack.
What is Google’s Local Pack?
Let’s say you are looking for a good restaurant to get a salad for lunch in Los Angeles, and you want to try a place you haven’t been before. You type into the Google’s search engine “Los Angeles salad restaurants”. The results will look something like this:
What can be seen here is what is referred to as a “local pack”. Local SEO focuses on building an online presence that moves your business into this category. Why is this important? Well, for starters, according to data from RankRanger, 30% of first page SERPs feature a “local pack”. This means it is the most common SERP feature, along with the featured snippet.
The process of obtaining a place in this group of three businesses starts with a Google My Business profile.
What is a Google My Business Account?
A Google My Business Account (GMB) is a profile from which you can control and present important information being published about your business on Google. The information you present in this profile will be used by Google to form your presence on local search maps and, of course, the local pack. This is only the first step for obtaining a spot on this list. The rest relies on relevance of search, citations, backlinks, and Google’s various algorithms.
From the GMB account you’ll be able to manage reviews and other relevant information. It is essentially the most important tool for managing your business’ online presence.
What Are Citations and Why Are They Important?
Citations are a crucial component of building an online presence for your business. A citation is essentially any place your business, along with its address, phone number, and website URL, are listed.
Presenting your businesses information in every possible place a customer could be looking ensures you are reaching and engaging your maximum potential customer range. It also ensures you are not allowing competitors to take advantage of avenues you have yet to utilize.
A common problem with website citations is once they are set up, businesses forget to maintain them. It is important to make sure you are frequently updating any changing information regarding your business. This is important from both an online presence standpoint, along with from a customer engagement and satisfaction standpoint.
Proximity, Relevance, and Prominence
There are three metrics that come into play when reaching a potential customer through online sources. Proximity refers to relative location to the customer and therefore cannot be modified.
However, relevance, referring to how relevant your products are to the search question, and prominence, referring to what customers are saying about your business and their overall satisfaction level, can be worked with.
At electrIQ, we focus on relevance through optimizing product keywords to make sure your business is appearing in numerous search categories when potential customers are searching for products online.
As for prominence, we emphasize a holistic, organic approach to driving up customer satisfaction reporting.
Our Local SEO Process Defined
Our process for Local SEO follows a basic five step guide which can be easily morphed and customized to fit each business we work with. We use these steps as a starting point, and then begin to branch out from there.
1. Claiming your Google My Business Profile: This is the first step in our process. We begin by setting up your account and familiarizing your business with the tools.
2. Citation Building: In this step, we begin identifying and engaging with the various locations designed for citation building. These include both general locations, such as starting a YELP page for your business, along with finding niche avenues specific to your product.
3. Managing and Encouraging Reviews and Ratings: Reviews are the backbone of any business, particularly in today’s world where it is easily to analyze numerous businesses in a few seconds simply by looking at their ratings on platforms like Yelp.
4. Establishing Backlinks: Backlinks play a role in building the prominence of your business. Google’s algorithms recognize backlinks and in turn identify your business and its website as a more trustworthy source.
5. Maintaining, Analyzing, and Refining: In any SEO program, Local or otherwise, maintaining, analyzing, and refining is the only true way to make progress. At ElectrIQ Marketing we emphasize data driven analysis and tracking. Through this, we can assess what should be tweaked and refined for further optimization.
In addition, as mentioned above, it is extremely important that you maintain the citations you build, meaning updating them with relevant information and changes.
This only begins to scratch the surface though. Local SEO can be challenging, but it is important for all businesses looking to grow through reaching customers via online platforms.
For more information, give us a call for a free consultation. In just a couple of minutes, we’ll be able to complete some basic analysis of your business and identify some potential areas of progress that can be made for your business.